Thursday, October 23, 2008

I want to be role model - Barton

Newcastle controversial midfielder Joey Barton, 26, trusts that can transform your reputation and become a model.

Barton was jailed for assault and banned for attacking a team-mate and said he was "the last chance salon."

He told BBC Sport that because of his experiences that may be able to reach people, saying: "I wish I could be the model I have ever been."

"My reputation will precede me until the day I die, and for some people who can not come soon," he added.

Barton, who was jailed for affray and assault earlier this year, could return to action against Sunderland on Saturday after completing a six-game ban for assaulting Ousmane Dabo in 2007, when he was in the city of Manchester.

"It will not be young guys who are looking at the likes of Michael Owen and Beckham, who are great professionals, squeaky clean, and that can not relate to them," Barton told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"When I speak from experience about the things I've done wrong in my life and how I have tried to change them, I think we respect that.

"Hopefully I will be able to reach them people who, perhaps before, they were a little inaccessible."

Barton was released three months ago in Manchester and began his return in a reserve fixture of Newcastle on Tuesday.

He said he deserves "every bit of criticism that labeled me."

"I've had more chances than anyone deserves. It's the last chance saloon and I'm just thankful to have that opportunity," he added.

Barton, who is receiving support from the Sporting Chance Clinic, acknowledged that many of their problems have been related to alcohol, but he said he has not had a drink in 10 months and is optimistic about his recovery.

"The main thing for me is to stay sober. I feel so good about the future. If I could go back and change things I want but I can not," he said.

"All I can do is do what in the future and try to help or relieve or pay my debts from what I have done wrong."

Barton was the first team in action when he came off the bench in what turned out to be Kevin Keegan last game in charge, the 3-0 defeat to Arsenal on August 30.


No comments: