Saturday, October 18, 2008

Chelsea coach Luiz Felipe Scolari calm despite injury crisis

Chelsea coach Luiz Felipe Scolari faces an injury crisis before tomorrow's clash with Middlesbrough.

The Brazilian coach has once again captain John Terry fit to face Gareth Southgate part in the Riverside, but has developed into a series of youth for the trip north.

Among them is England Under-21 defender Michael Mancienne end and Scott Sinclair.

But Scolari unusual Petr Cech, Ashley Cole, Michael Ballack, Joe Cole, Didier Drogba, Michael Essien and Ricardo Carvalho with doubts about José Bosingwa and Alex.

Scolari said:''Nineteen players have to train. Nineteen are with me today. And they all are in good condition. John Terry has recovered to play tomorrow.

Joe Cole''no go with us. Some other players will not be with us because they are injured.

Pero''tengo a team, I have players who will play against Middlesbrough and is not a problem for me if we have one, two, three or four injuries.''

The latest addition to Scolari mounting injury toll German captain Michael Ballack.

Scolari confirmed Ballack is expected to be for a maximum of three weeks despite having played against Wales 1-0 victory in Germany in the week.

Ballack was already carrying a calf injury when informed of international law and which was further aggravated against Wales.

However, Scolari insists that he is not angry at the loss of midfielder.

''Ballack is out of perhaps two or three weeks'', Scolari admitted. ''I'm not angry. I am happy because this is a test for me that I am a good coach.

''I have to change, improve, I have to bring in other players, I need to motivate other players.

''It's good for my work, is good for my work. It is not difficult for me.

''To me it's normal, I have to build every week, a different computer.

Many clubs have injuries''of the national games, because the games are strong. In football it's normal.

''I worked yesterday, Thursday, with only 11 players. Today I worked with 17. It's better! Maybe I have Saturday 19.

''Against Roma in the Champions League next week, it might take 20 or 21. This is the life for the coach, you need to understand that we have different games and I have to understand that teams want and need the players.

''I am a coach, I have to build my team with the players I have.

''The coaches of national teams do not want the injuries their players want what we want - to win.

''It's not just a club that lost when the national teams. All clubs. Once my club loses players, both from Liverpool, after Man United. We have to accept this. If you do not accept this is impossible.

''If you are injured at Chelsea who do not play, if you are injured on the national team who do not play. I do not see any time in my life, when a coach put a player on the pitch if they are injured.''




No comments: